Globetrotter Ausrüstung, Europe’s largest multi-channel specialty outdoor retailer, increased its sales after VAT from €205 million in the last fiscal year ended Feb. 28, compared with €178 million the year before. The increase of around 15 percent exceeded the targeted growth of 10 percent. Both the mail order and the brick-and-mortar businesses developed more or less on the same level.

Pretty much like in the previous year, the share of mail order sales was at 45 percent, while sales through the stores in Berlin, Bonn, Cologne, Dresden, Frankfurt and Hamburg added the remaining 55 percent. Again, some 80 percent of the mail order purchases were made through the internet. Online sales were partially fueled by 4seasons.tv, the group’s one-year-old internet television program, which promotes the website of Globetrotter.

For the current financial year, the Hamburg-based company aims to grow up to €225 million without adding any new stores. As we have previously reported, Globetrotter recently acquired a 25 percent stake in Transa, the big player in the Swiss specialty outdoor retail market, but this is not included in the number.

Company officials said they were now pretty confident that they will be able to open a store in downtown Munich February 2011. No precise plans are at hand for other locations such as Nuremberg and Stuttgart as of now. The management has frequently mentioned that it is interested in these cities to overcome its weak presence in the southern regions of Germany.